HCC Celebrates 60th Anniversary
with An Upper Pool Makeover
Sunset over HCC’s newly renovated lower pool.
Click here to see a collection of pics taken during the project.
Last year, HCC celebrated its 60th Anniversary with an Upper Pool makeover…actually; we built a totally new pool within the old pool. The new pool was a huge hit with the patrons; here are a few of the benefits:
- Expanded zero entry/beach area gives us increased shallow water for our youngest patrons
- Safe diving well; new layout meets current competitive requirements of depth, length and width
- Redesign of diving well repurposed an area for adult swimming
- All new plaster finish; all new piping and skimmer system; all new pool decking
- Two sets of steps makes entry and departure from the pool much easier than using a ladder for many of our patrons
- Pool can now be properly winterized with safety pool cover installed for the winter
News Flash … It’s the Lower Pool’s turn for a makeover!
The work on the lower pool began shortly after the pools closed down for the season and continued into the winter. Years and years of paint were sandblasted down to the concrete and the top 18” of the pool walls were saw cut and removed so that a new perimeter overflow stainless steel gutter could be installed. The floor of the starting block end of the pool was “chopped” and removed so that the depth could be increased to allow for safer entry from the starting blocks. All new piping, to and from the filters have been installed along with the new concrete floor of the deep end. All new decks, new fencing, tiling of the lane lines/targets and the application of a quartz plaster finish are on the list to complete prior to filling the pool for the 2018 season.
From its inception, 61 years ago, HCC has relied on community donations, pool memberships and facility use fees to finance its projects and required maintenance of facilities. We appreciate all the community support and continued membership to help keep the Harleysville Community Center an important place for family and friends to gather and share memories.
A special Thank You goes out to our Community partners – Lower Salford Township, Excel Communications, Harleysville Bank, Harleysville Jaycees, Harleysville Lions and Harleysville Rotary for their ongoing support of HCC.
To learn more of the Center’s interesting history click on the “About HCC” button.